Friday, February 24, 2012

What Did I Learn About Feelings?

Have you ever been told that your feelings are not important?


Were you always silenced when you got emotional about something that upset you and therefore made others feel uneasy around you because of them?
How did you feel about your own feelings growing up? And what about now?
Personally, my feelings always discomforted me. They made me feel much too vulnerable and completely out of control. Not sure about you, but being vulnerable was something that in my family was considered a weakness and they, in their efforts to do the best for me, always could not deal with their own much less mine.
Don't get me wrong, we are all products of our conditioning and therefore, subject to its hold over us. But as we grow older, and hopefully wiser, we can learn to unmask its hold on us and navigate better waters of self in empowering ways. And, naturally, the onus is on us, to make those changes for ourselves in ways that expand our own lives and those of others.
So, this is my journey through my own feelings and an example into a small exercise into self-analysis:
If I'd have listened to my conditioning from my parents and family, I would never have trusted my own gut feelings. The way I was brought up was that, I should never rely on my own thoughts and must give credence to the thoughts and desires of my betters - better by experience and better by authority.
Luckily, I had a spiritual advantage in personal experiences, that gave me the ability to know that in some ways, my feelings were guides of sorts. And I made a decision quite early on that I would always listen to my inner self and, at times, that communicated to me via my feelings.



If it felt right I went ahead; if it didn't I would refrain from engaging with whatever energy was not right for me!
Emotions are great and wonderful things - they guide us, they enrich our experience in this world and others; they add to us in our understanding of ourselves. They serve us, motivate us and, propel us to advance in life and in living.
I learnt to trust my feelings and they have added to my self-trust in my judgements in situations, in people, in family, in lovers, in Spirit and I find it had never lead me wrong in anything. The only time it didn't work out was when I chose to ignore my feelings and went against myself.
It boils down to this:
I trust Spirit - I trust myself!
Feelings, be it emotions evoked/felt or be it feelings of gut, ARE a reflection of that inner voice!


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6850715

No comments:

Followers

Pages